Friday, September 10, 2010

1400 - The Illusionist


I really liked The Triplets of Belleville so I was excited to see that Chomet had a new film in the festival, and not only that but that it was adapted from an unproduced screenplay by Jacques Tati. There no doubt that this is through and through a love letter to Tati. The characters, the comedy, the commentary, it's all there. But I have to warn you, don't go into this expecting a warm and fuzzy frolicking ride. There is a bitter pill to be swallowed in this film and the ending leaves you feeling pretty lousy. I don't think that spoils anything. I will say that I felt like it started to drag a bit, and it's only eighty minutes long.
If you're a fan of Triplets, Chomet in general, or especially Tati, check this out, but proceed with emotional caution.

1 comment:

Carl S said...

Loved the Triplets. I'll be watching for this on DVD. Hope I don't have to get it as an import.