Monday, September 20, 2010

Super Paper Mario


We bought this game YEARS ago when it first came out, and I played half of it right away... and then... I don't know why but I never finished it. Thankfully the Wii saves everything so I picked up where I left off. I don't play a lot of video games, I try to keep productive and there's a small part of me that says that they're a waste of time - but goddamnit, sometimes I deserve to waste my time!
I like Mario games. The gameplay in this is pretty simple, and yet it's not an easy game. It's a bit of a puzzle with a lot of pieces in play. As you go along you add more characters and powers to your palette and the trick is knowing how and where to utilize them. So there is a LOT of gameplay, which might delight some and annoy others who want the game to move quicker.
My biggest beef with the game is the story - I don't mind the story - I like it - it's just that there is a lot of it, and a lot of dialogue and it REALLY slows down the gameplay. Frustratingly so. ESPECIALLY when you're replaying a level and you know the story. I bet that once through the entire game you've spent at least two hours reading text, or furiously pushing the 2 button to blast past it. What I don't understand is why there isn't a feature to skip past it and head right into the next bit of gameplay. Something to consider, Nintendo if you do a follow-up to this game.
So this one is tough for me - I did like it - but I had a really hard time recommending it because of how annoying all the text is. I say that if you can put up with that you'll probably enjoy it. Now I'm looking forward to my next Mario game... Will it be Galaxy (the first one) or the New Super Mario Bros... any recommendations?

No comments: