Tuesday, September 14, 2010

1408 - Good Neighbours


I feel badly that this is the first Jacob Tierney film that I have seen. I will remedy that. Those who read this with any regularity know that I love Jay Baruchel, so I'll shut up about that guy (he's great in this, of course). I won't go on about the plot too much only because there's a bit of a mystery to this and I don't want to spoil anything. I will say, however, that I was a little let down there there weren't a few more twists and turns. I figured things out pretty quick and it didn't deviate. Now that would be a problem if the film wasn't so enjoyable to watch. It's more or less a chamber piece taking place almost entirely within an apartment building Quebec during the referendum. The style of the film is really great, the look, the lighting, composition, coloring, production design - it's all great. There's a really playful and fun score that plays throughout as well.
I think this is a film that anyone who enjoys the macabre will really dig. The Canadian films I've seen at TIFF this year are far better than any I've seen in my many years of attending TIFF and it really gives me hope for this country's film industry. Please see this when it comes out - you will enjoy.

3 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I am hoping to see it when it opens here. Hoping it gets a release. I have no canadian films on my TIFF list this year.

Jeremy said...

Trotsky got a release I'm sure that this will. And shame on you for not seeing any Canadian films!

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I'm only seeing 5!! No room. And mind you, I'm usually disappointed at TIFF when it comes to Canuck films. Really hit or big miss. I stopped going to the Canadian short films because I pretty much hated all of them.