Friday, September 10, 2010

1398 - Erotic Man


So let's get something out of the way right off the bat. If you're going into a Jorgen Leth film, already you're probably okay with something that's on the pretentious side. I haven't seen a LOT of his other stuff, but I thought his role in the doc The Five Obstructions was really interesting and enough to make me want to see this. I think this film is getting labelled as a documentary, but it's more of a... well, I don't know - an visual essay I guess.
A few things are certain by watching this - Leth LOVES women, and you can tell by the way that he photographs them. He has no qualms about showing them intimate and naked. It didn't bother me, but I never really found it sexy. Leth is engaging enough to keep his presence and narration in the film from being overtly pretentious, so it's just there on the surface. But I do have to say, I was pretty blown away by how many people walked out of this film - not surprising that a low of them were women.

No comments: